Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50)
Daniel J. Morlan
2004-11-23 18:33:38 UTC
How far away from this little guy do I need to be when transmitting with 75
Watts? I'm assuming (ASSUMING) at least 10 feet or so, but can this thing
be closer to me whilst I'm transmitting? I know it will also be most
effective standing upright, but can this thing receive and transmit
reasonably well if I am not able to mount this antenna upright? I have an
awkward shaped house, and am a little too "husky" to venture climing up, and
mounting the antenna on my own without extreme risk of injury, or potential
to fall and kill myself.

(I'd pay someone to do it for me, but honestly, I'm not sure who to contact
for something such as this.)

Please excuse the ignorance... And the EXTRAORDINARILY RARE instance of
cross-posting. I won't make it a habit to do this in the future, but I'm
praying for an answer soon, as my free time is limited.

73, WW6DJM

Daniel J. Morlan
whoever
2004-11-23 23:05:50 UTC
Hey Daniel
I need to ask this. It's not about license class. Why does it seem
that so many Technician class don't have a clue about the simplest of
things about radio or antennas but they know how to get a vanity call?

To answer your question. You would want the antenna outside and I
would get the antenna up as high as you can, maybe hire a neighbor kid
to do the climbing and use good coax. Maybe get on the local repeater
and ask for help, most hams are helpful!

I've been told that if you had $1000 to spend, spend $900 on the antenna
system and $100 on the radio!
Good luck
73
Whoever
Daniel J. Morlan
Keyboard In The Wilderness
2004-11-24 00:28:39 UTC
Well I would start with the ARRL page URL:
http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/

Then a calculator at URL:
http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/

Call a TV shop that installs antennas -- most can handle small roof top
installations.
Be sure they read and understand the installation instruction sheet.

Good Luck
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be
Daniel J. Morlan
Dee D. Flint
2004-11-24 01:03:10 UTC
Post by Daniel J. Morlan
How far away from this little guy do I need to be when transmitting with 75
Watts? I'm assuming (ASSUMING) at least 10 feet or so, but can this thing
be closer to me whilst I'm transmitting? I know it will also be most
effective standing upright, but can this thing receive and transmit
reasonably well if I am not able to mount this antenna upright? I have an
awkward shaped house, and am a little too "husky" to venture climing up, and
mounting the antenna on my own without extreme risk of injury, or potential
to fall and kill myself.
Do not assume. Although you would have studied this for your Tech license,
it didn't stick with you (that's normal by the way) since there was so much
to learn at the time. Get out your copy of the "Now You're Talking" study
guide . Now that you have a need for the radiation safety information, you
will absorb it much better than when you studied for the test. Go through
the charts, tables, equations and you will be able to tell what is a safe
operating distance.

Antenna orientation is important and depends on the application. Most
repeaters have vertical antennas and so the signal is vertically polarized.
Thus you want your antenna to be the same for maximum signal compatibility.
If you turn it horizontally for example, your signal will be horizontally
polarized and the effective result is that your signal will sound only half
as strong into the repeater. If the repeater is close, this is no big deal
but if it's a ways off it is important. On the other hand, if you are into
working VHF/UHF sideband or CW, most of these folks use horizontally
polarized antenna setups and you should do the same.

You might put the antenna up in the attic. Many people are quite successful
with this setup.
Post by Daniel J. Morlan
(I'd pay someone to do it for me, but honestly, I'm not sure who to contact
for something such as this.)
As some one else has send, join a local club and/or get on the local
repeater. They can help you find some one. Or have enough beer and pizza
on hand and have an antenna party! I met my current husband through ham
radio. The first time I ever saw him was when he came to help me with an
antenna. Being on a roof doesn't bother me but I'm scared to death of
climbing a ladder!
Post by Daniel J. Morlan
Please excuse the ignorance... And the EXTRAORDINARILY RARE instance of
cross-posting. I won't make it a habit to do this in the future, but I'm
praying for an answer soon, as my free time is limited.
Every one starts out as ignorant. It is only through time, experience, and
making mistakes that people develop knowledge. We've all been where you are
at in our ham radio careers.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
Daniel J. Morlan
2004-11-24 03:05:43 UTC
To those who were genuine with their help. Thanks for being true hams. To
those of you who were inclined to berate...

You've figured me out! I'm just trying to ruin the hobby for you in
whatever manner I can. I'm singling you guys out for destruction! I'm your
worst nightmare! (sipping kool aid from a straw...)

73, WW6DJM
Daniel J. Morlan
whoever
Daniel J. Morlan
Keyboard In The Wilderness
2004-11-24 15:04:29 UTC
Dan there are a lot of people on these NG's who are helpful and keep things
on track.

But there are those that "put others on" or are trolls.

Reason for the mish mash mix of folks on these NG's is they are unmoderated
and free.

To avoid this

1. Weed thru the goofy replies and IGNORE the ones that are not helpful --
NEVER respond as they are hoping you will.

2. Join a moderated group like the YAHOO forums. Tis free but you must
subscribe
see URL:

There are 1500 different Ham groups there - most are moderated.

Lots of expertise and good interchanges there as well as here (if you learn
to expect and ignore the negative or goofy posts)
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be
Daniel J. Morlan
Daniel J. Morlan
2004-11-24 17:11:07 UTC
My reply to the trolls was good-natured. I don't care. I was mostly trying
to be funny for everyone else. I was hoping to get a laugh from the good
guys. <grins>

If you think THIS is a lions den...

alt.smokers.cigars has some beauts in there...

I don't care. I can only have my feelings wounded by people I respect.

73, Daniel
http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=amateur%20radio
Daniel J. Morlan
whoever
2004-11-24 18:22:39 UTC
Hey Daniel
I answered your question, but I also asked you a question which you
never answered, for some reason I think your troll remark is meant for
me? I wasn't being a troll nor do I feel you are trying to ruin the
hobby for me! My question wasn't to berate you or your license class nor
was it about no code. I just wondered why some people want all the techs
grand fathered into generals but so many don't have the knowledge or
experience yet to operate radios at 1500 watts. Please don't anybody
take this personal but yesterday alone I saw 4 different post from tech
class license's that had vanity calls that asked some of the most basic
questions, 1 had been licensed less than a month and wanted to know the
difference between a hand held a a "table top" radio another wanted to
know how to hear the input of the "tower".
All I was doing was asking a simple question for my own knowledge.
It's great that you asked your question before transmitting 75 watts
less than 10 feet from your head. I fear that if tech's are grand
fathered into generals that some may just transmit 1.5k watts into an
antenna strung across the ceiling!
Please go back and read my answer to your first post, I did give you a
hint to hire a neighbor kid to climb for you (I do that all the time),
I also told you that you should put your antenna outside and as high
as you could with good coax, also to ask local hams on the repeater
(tower)[this is my joke :) ] for help, and for this you call me names?
I really think you took my question the wrong way am I'm truly sorry
that you feel that way, and that you feel you have to be "funny for
everyone else", and that you have no respect for me because I unlike you
wasn't trying to wound anybody's feelings.

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:funny for everyone else
Daniel J. Morlan
Dee D. Flint
2004-11-24 18:43:50 UTC
Post by whoever
Hey Daniel
I answered your question, but I also asked you a question which you
never answered, for some reason I think your troll remark is meant for
me? I wasn't being a troll nor do I feel you are trying to ruin the
hobby for me! My question wasn't to berate you or your license class nor
was it about no code. I just wondered why some people want all the techs
grand fathered into generals but so many don't have the knowledge or
experience yet to operate radios at 1500 watts.
You need to go back and read up on the respective privileges of the various
classes. Techs are already allowed 1500 watts of power at all ham
frequencies above 30mhz. This is actually riskier than using 1500 watts at
HF since the VHF/UHF frequencies are in a range that is the same as the
resonant frequencies of the human body and are therefore more hazardous to
the operator and others in the vicinity of the radio. This is why all the
questions on radio frequency safety are on the TECHNICIAN exam not the
General exam.

In addition to that, there are a significant number of people who test
straight to General at one test session and have no more experience than a
new Tech. Then of course there are also significant numbers of Techs
testing to General within weeks or months of getting their Tech licenses.
They also have little experience at that point. In any case, all are
allowed to use high power for VHF and up. Of course at HF, one must be a
General to use high power.
Post by whoever
Please don't anybody
take this personal but yesterday alone I saw 4 different post from tech
class license's that had vanity calls that asked some of the most basic
questions, 1 had been licensed less than a month and wanted to know the
difference between a hand held a a "table top" radio another wanted to
know how to hear the input of the "tower".
Everyone starts out with similar basic, simple questions. This is not
covered in studying for any of the exams, not Tech, not General, and not
Extra. The only way to learn these things is to ask people, read the
manuals (which are often confusing), make mistakes, etc.
Post by whoever
All I was doing was asking a simple question for my own knowledge.
It's great that you asked your question before transmitting 75 watts
less than 10 feet from your head. I fear that if tech's are grand
fathered into generals that some may just transmit 1.5k watts into an
antenna strung across the ceiling!
A Tech can already legally do that on frequencies above 30 mhz, i.e. 6m, 2m,
222mhz, 440mhz, 1.2ghz, etc. He/she doesn't have to be a General.

You ("whoever") really need to go back and read the "Now You're Talking"
Technician study guide instead of slamming the inexperienced.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
whoever
2004-11-24 20:00:37 UTC
Post by whoever
All I was doing was asking a simple question for my own knowledge.
It's great that you asked your question before transmitting 75 watts
less than 10 feet from your head. I fear that if tech's are grand
fathered into generals that some may just transmit 1.5k watts into an
antenna strung across the ceiling!
A Tech can already legally do that on frequencies above 30 mhz, i.e. 6m, 2m,
222mhz, 440mhz, 1.2ghz, etc. He/she doesn't have to be a General.
You ("whoever") really need to go back and read the "Now You're Talking"
Technician study guide instead of slamming the inexperienced.
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
You ("Dee D. Flint) really need to go back and take your own advice
instead of slamming the inexperienced. I never said I knew it all. Heck,
I don't know much of anything. I asked a still unanswered question and I
answered his question. I get called a troll and told I'm being
condescending? You have taken everything I said to somebody else way out
of context, and I don't see why you feel such a need to bash me while
protecting Daniel? I never was a tech so I guess I don't know their
privileges, sorry. I don't feel the need to go back a read the "Now
You're Talking" Technician study guide. So I'm wrong about how much
power a tech can use, all the more reason for my question! I guess I
should go back and remember all of the novice operating frequencies
while I'm at it?
Dee D. Flint
2004-11-24 21:01:45 UTC
Post by whoever
Post by whoever
[...]
You slammed the guy and acted like a know it all even though you did not say
you knew it all. And yes you should go back and read "Now You're Talking"
as you've forgotten too much. I reread my manuals periodically and get new
ones when they come out just for the purpose of keeping up to date.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
whoever
2004-11-24 21:24:39 UTC
Post by Dee D. Flint
Post by whoever
Post by whoever
Post by Dee D. Flint
They also have little experience at that point. In any case, all are
allowed to use high power for VHF and up. Of course at HF, one must be
Post by whoever
Post by Dee D. Flint
General to use high power.
Post by whoever
Post by Dee D. Flint
[...]
So you're saying that you area know it all and can be condescending to me?
I didn't see where Daniel needed you to speak for him, and I don't see
any reason to know the operating privileges of any other class then my
own to ask the question that I asked? I never called any names nor tried
to put anybody down. My answers to Daniel should have been helpful, but
he chose to ignore that and call me a troll and you are doing to me 10
times worse then what you are accusing me of doing?
But I forgot you know so much more about everything then me so please
forgive me and I'll ask your husband to ask your promission before I
post next time.
My question is still unanswered!
Al the rest I have to say to you deleted.
Adair Winter
2004-11-25 00:57:24 UTC
Both of yall need to learn how to trim your posts and stop acting like
children..
Thanks!
Adair - KD5DYP
Dave Bushong
2004-11-25 03:15:08 UTC
Post by Adair Winter
Both of yall need to learn how to trim your posts and stop acting like
children..
Thanks!
Adair - KD5DYP
Hmmm.... as I read this in six different newsgroups, I will take that
advice to heart.

But seriously, I think you are right. I'm one of the biggest proponents
of acting like ham operators here, instead of acting like the rest of
Usenet. Hams act like friends right from the start; people here act
like sociopaths. This (these?) newsgroup is not a fair representation
of ham radio. Ham radio is a whole lot better. Give it a try.

Dave
KZ1O
Keyboard In The Wilderness
2004-11-25 17:08:49 UTC
"This (these?) newsgroup(s) is not a fair representation
of ham radio. Ham radio is a whole lot better. Give it a try."
On our local repeater - hundreds of questions are asked each week and the
replies are helpful and courteous.
Discussions vary from tech ham Q and A, driving directions, attractions for
vistors, old car repair, welding, emergency procedures, repeater locations,
and much more.
On HF the same applies

Also we have a Ham Help net on our repeater weekly with 20 or 30 folks
checking in to ask and help with questions

Does your repeater have such a net ???
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be
KZ1O
Daniel J. Morlan
2004-11-24 18:59:34 UTC
"everyone else" refers to anyone who was trying to get their kicks off by
being condescending. I never really took anything you said to heart, nor
did it bother me any. My only excuse is... It's been a year, I've not been
on the air due to personal challenges, and I want to get more into the hobby
again. It's been a long time since I've been on the air, and I've been
doing a lot of things since... Buying a house, trying to find a decent job
moving all the way across the country from California.

Don't sweat it bud! Nothing was said that bothered me. I was mostly trying
to reassure some of the extra sensitive folks on the board. I'll not spend
any more time on this thread, as I've thankfully been given all the
information I need, and I appreciate everyone's contributions. No hard
feelings, bro..

Best...

Have a great holiday.

DJM
Daniel J. Morlan
Borris
2004-12-01 01:38:39 UTC
Post by Daniel J. Morlan
[...]
Hey "Whoever" don't worry about it. You didn't do anything wrong. Sounds
like "MS FLINT" is just having a wrong time of the month moment. Your
comments were sound and well thought out. Most women in ham radio are fat
greasy pigs anyway. Just look around at the local events and check out the
"ham guwrls"

To answer your question the nocode wonders want a license but not the
knowledge. They get a vanity call to feel more like a real ham. Then they go
back to the cb band to tell the other idiots how smart they are. The
codeless wonders will ruin this hobby and there is nothing we true hams can
do about it.
Adair Winter
2004-12-14 15:21:28 UTC
Post by Borris
Hey "Whoever" don't worry about it. You didn't do anything wrong. Sounds
like "MS FLINT" is just having a wrong time of the month moment. Your
comments were sound and well thought out. Most women in ham radio are fat
greasy pigs anyway. Just look around at the local events and check out the
"ham guwrls"
To answer your question the nocode wonders want a license but not the
knowledge. They get a vanity call to feel more like a real ham. Then they
codeless wonders will ruin this hobby and there is nothing we true hams
can do about it.
Actually, it's people like you that are runing the hobby..

Adair