Where are the Hams?
GK User
2005-09-05 01:45:03 UTC
You know I used to hear about natural disasters and on the TV and News there
were pictures and articles about the Hams that were helping in the area and
making things better. I haven't heard that much about Ham's in the wake of
Katrina and wonder how much a presence we had and were allowed to have?
With the police repeaters going out we could have provided simplex operation
for them and kept them going right along the way as well as the unbelievable
health and welfare traffic need.

I could understand though any ham not wanting to be a target or broadcast
from a "war zone" where people were firing at you and that would mob you and
take your equipment. Either way just saying I haven't heard a lot about
Amateur Radio's participation on this one.
KJ
2005-09-05 06:50:55 UTC
Post by GK User
Either way just saying I haven't heard a lot about
Amateur Radio's participation on this one.
I think they are only starting the operation by now:

"SATURDAY September 3 2005
Amateur Radio operators are beginning to be sent into areas around New
Orleans to support command and control operations for Red Cross and
other disaster relief operations. The equipment requirement is VHF and
UHF FM. Both portable, hand held and mobile stations are needed.
Conditions remain primitive."

(Quoted from http://katrina.ab2m.net/viewinfo.php)

You will probably find much relevant information here...

http://www.arrl.org
http://forums.ab2m.net/

KJ, OZ1SUN
http://www.oz1sun.dk
Padraigh ProAmerica
2005-09-11 01:24:02 UTC
Last weekend an e-mail wa sent out by our SM; hams were needed, BUT- you
had to provide EVERYTHING. Equipment, power source, food, water,
assorted sundries. Last I heard we were still poviding sevice, as the
phone network is in a total shambles, and, as usual, with a large number
of agencies, intercommunications is a freaking joke.

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
KJ
2005-09-11 08:19:41 UTC
Post by Padraigh ProAmerica
Last weekend an e-mail wa sent out by our SM; hams were needed, BUT- you
had to provide EVERYTHING. Equipment, power source, food, water,
assorted sundries. Last I heard we were still poviding sevice, as the
phone network is in a total shambles, and, as usual, with a large number
of agencies, intercommunications is a freaking joke.
In case of a major catastrophe one of the inevitable consequences are a
nearly complete breakdown of the logistic infrastructure. I am sure that
Einstein would agree on that.

In my book this means that all available aid should be directed at those
suffering from the catastrophe. Volunteers therefore need to be able to
take care of themselves in a way that they become a valuable asset to
the ongoing emergency operation. If they in any way become a burden,
they will slow down the operation, which will certainly not help the
victims.

If you think these conditions are unacceptable then you are probably not
the one they are looking for. They need solutions for their problems
rather than new tasks to complete.

Being able to take care of yourself while helping others is 95% about
your and 5% about your equipment. If the catastrophe had happened a
little closer to me and I thought I could be of any help, then I would
happily pack my backpack containg minimum equipment including several
litres of fresh water, freeze-dried meals and water purification
equipment from the local outdoor shop, my ft817 transceiver, some
gel-cell batteries, an autotuner, a dipole and some lengths of wire, a
sleeping bag etc. It does not have to be more complicated than that.
Having a complete communications trailer is a great asset, but you can
perform miracles with less.

As a volunteer do not expect to be serviced in any way while performing
your job, and do not expect to be financially compensated unless agreed
beforehand. Instead rest assured that many victims will be more than
grateful for the help you provided when they needed it the most.

The reason why intercommunication between agencies and even
communication within several of the agencies is a "freaking joke" is
quite simple and understandable. Nobody is trained for such
extraordinary circumstances. They may be well trained in using the
equipment when everything else works just fine, but they are not highly
experienced radio operators who have spent year after year on improving
skills and equipment for the task of being able to operate where nobody
else can. It really is that simple, and instead of requiring everything
to work even when hell freezes to ice, be happy that there are
volunteers around who have the necessary skills and want to help.

KJ
http://www.oz1sun.dk
Steve Stone
2005-09-11 20:11:42 UTC