Which Ham radio is good ?
Awsome
2005-11-16 16:12:53 UTC
I'm newbie to Ham radio and currently looking for a compact HAM radio with
good power to communicate long distance as well as VHF and UHF. I have a
power boat and would like to carry it on board for HF and marine VHF band
communication.

I have few questions in this regard:

1. Can I communicate on Marine VHF band with ham radio ? does it cover the
marine band ?

2. How about the aviation band ? does it cover that too ?

3. I am reading about sending emails and receiving weather charts through
Ham radio .... How reliable is it ? what band they are using for these
services ?

4. Is it possible to make a regular phone call using HAM radio without
operator help ? What is the procedure for it ?

5. Any chance of Internet connectivity through Ham Radio ? like we use Wi-Fi
for browsing.

6. With all the above questions what kinda HAM radio you will recommend
with how much RF ?power ?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Gerald
2005-11-18 13:26:10 UTC
Post by Awsome
I'm newbie to Ham radio and currently looking for a compact HAM radio
with good power to communicate long distance as well as VHF and UHF. I
have a power boat and would like to carry it on board for HF and marine
VHF band communication.
1. Can I communicate on Marine VHF band with ham radio ? does it cover the
marine band ?
No. No such radio is made at this time. Some Ham radios have expanded
receive coverage that will allow you to listen, but not transmit on Marine
VHF channels.
Post by Awsome
2. How about the aviation band ? does it cover that too ?
Same answer.
Post by Awsome
3. I am reading about sending emails and receiving weather charts through
Ham radio .... How reliable is it ? what band they are using for these
services ?
On ham radio, WinLink (www.winlink.org) has an email service that includes a
catalog of weather charts and other weather information. I have used them
when cruising and found them to be much more reliable and convenient that
receiving wefax directly over the air. Like all other uses of ham radio, no
commercial communications allowed. So if you need to do any business
related emailing, ham email is not for you.

If you do need to do business email, check out SailMail at www.sailmail.com.
I have used the too and found them to be quite reliable.

Both of these services cover most ofthe HF bands. Obviously WinLink on ham
bands, SailMail on Marine SSB. Also note that nothing on HF is going to
beat about 300 baud by very much.
Post by Awsome
4. Is it possible to make a regular phone call using HAM radio without
operator help ? What is the procedure for it ?
If you can find someone who will give you a phone patch. Technically
possible, but not very likely.
Post by Awsome
5. Any chance of Internet connectivity through Ham Radio ? like we use
Wi-Fi for browsing.
There are services that will allow you to get a single web page --- via
email --- graphics deleted. Certainly not the type of browsing you may be
used to, but if you need to check the sports page on your local newpaper, a
klunky possibility.
Post by Awsome
6. With all the above questions what kinda HAM radio you will recommend
with how much RF ?power ?
You have not mentioned where you will be traveling, your budget, and what
your communications needs will be. If you will be traveling in the US,
Canada, use Cell phone for your data and voice communcations --- so much
easier and faster --- plus no restrictions on content (no business on ham
radio) or volumn --- all services have limits on how long you can access
their services each day / month.

If you are venturing off-shore, a radio that is both marine SSB and ham
capable may be your best bet. I used an ICOM and it worked OK. By OK, i
mean that Marine SSB radios are all channalized. That means that you can't
turn your tuning dial through various frequencies --- like your ham radio;
You turn to specific, programed frequencies. This is the way of the world in
Marine SSB land. Certain Marine SSB radios are set up to transmit on ham
frequencies (This is normally a special option!!!). You must program
frequencies you want to use into user-programable channels to use them.
MAJOR pain in the ass if you want to do "Ham" radio stuff. It works fine if
you want to participate in any of the various nets that operate on fixed
frequnecies dach day. The most popular of these on the East Coast is the
Waterway Cruising Net - http://www.waterwayradio.net/. On marine SSB there
is the ever popular Cruiseheimers' Net. Daily Net on 8152 USB at 0830 ET.

For further information check http://www.idiyachts.com/Marinelinks.html.

A 100 radio with a proper antenna will get you the world.
Gary at McDonough Ga
2005-12-06 09:26:53 UTC
I would recommend you look toward the Yaesu VX-7R Black or Silver if you
would like to cover the 6 meter through 440 bands and have receive
capability of most anything in between. Icom has also introduced the
IC7000 which covers just about the whole gambit of frequencies but is an
HF radio. The handitalkie VX-7R also advertises (if you can believe it)
that it is very water resistant and even can be submerged up to 3 ft for
a period of 30 min I believe. That's not bad for weather resistant
condition like you would want on the Boat. The ICOM IC7000 is not so
weather resistant but gives you the HF ability. As for coverage
consider investing more in a great antenna to accomplish your needs for
whatever you decide on.