Adjustment of Laptop RTC Oscillator.
gmv
2005-02-08 19:07:09 UTC
Hello,

I am not a ham but I know you guys
deal with this stuff so here goes;

I have a Toshiba laptop which keeps terrible
time and I was just wondering if anyone has
successfully adjusted the RTC in a laptop
to keep better time. I understand these quartz
clocks usually use an oscillator tuned to
32768Hz and if properly adjusted they keep pretty
good time but the trouble is that few if any of
the companies turning out these clocks actually
adjust them.

At the moment i set my clock fast by 6 seconds and
allow it to drift across zero for 6 additional
seconds this gives me 54 hours of usable RTC time.
But I would very much like to reduce that error.

The laptop of which I speak is a
Toshiba Satellite 205CDS.
--
Regards;
gmv
Rick Frazier
2005-02-10 03:57:26 UTC
Unfortunately, there is little you can do without the schematic to the
computer and some work with a very small soldering iron (to change the
cap that loads the crystal or timing circuit). Maybe a better way is to
get a software solution...

Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.

Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has access
to the internet.
<smile>

--Rick
gmv
gmv
2005-02-10 16:05:41 UTC
I was thinking of possibly removing any fixed caps and putting
in trimmers. the caps are usually easy to recognized because
the circuit traces lead directly to the crystal leads.
I could also try to change the crystal itself because the
times I get are so poor it just might need a new crystal.
But at the moment I am not adventurous enough to go inside.
IF I muck up this machine I do not have enough money to get
another one. I sure wish toshiba had charged an extra
25cents and calibrated the darn clock.
gmv
Shortlyhire
2005-02-11 15:20:21 UTC
Changeing the xal will do no good, it may drift a lot worse. A tuning cap
may be in the wrong direction. It may be the wrong xal on the board too.
Getting laptops apart and back together is not easy at all, you have to know
where the plastic tabs are that interlock or you can break them off. And
the lands are extreamly small, and under a layer of fiberglass, (most are 4
to 8 layer boards) Your onboard backup battery could be going south, when
the do, usally the clock goes south first. Best fix is something like
NisTime, lots of them out there 4 free.
gmv
gmv
2005-02-12 05:04:25 UTC
Set Your Computer Clock Via the Internet NIST Internet Time Service (ITS).
Software and Instructions. Public Domain NIST Software. ...

This is not what I want to do because my laptop runs as a
kind of datalogger independent of
any Internet. My ISP is not etched in stone so I really do
not want to become dependent upon it.

The only thing I will settle for is a calibrated
RTC inside my own darn computer.

I understand the experts have miniaturized an atomic
clock....a real atomic clock....I cant wait till
they get installed in the new computers then you will
never need to synchronize more than once in a year.

Having to depend on others to stay with
the time is a burden I can really do without.
gmv
Ron Wezekana
2005-02-12 16:49:33 UTC
It has nothing to do with an ISP. There are many places on the web that can
up date time for you, they all get it from WWB.
There may be an external device that will hook you up to WWB time, via
serial port etc.

But all computer clocks are not as accurate as you want/need, once a year?
forget it.
You could not build one or modify your computer to get that accuracy.
gmv
gmv
2005-02-13 17:41:19 UTC
You do not understand.
You should be more careful when you read things.
You need an ISP to connect to the internet
and i do not want my time keeping dependent
upon a $2000 computer or a $500 computer and
a $60/mo or $20/mo charge that is absolutely rediculous
when good time keeping is only a single calibration away.
You people seem to be totally ignorant of what
is possible at a fairly cheap price if only things
were designed right in the first place.
We need to squash these capitalists who are like
organized crime and only into science for the money
or the security.
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
Dr Floyde
2005-02-13 19:22:26 UTC
Dear Moron -

If you don't have/want an internet connection, how/why are you posting in
newsgroups?

Go build your own atomic clock, scrape some atoms off your computer screen,
and put them up your stinking nose, and jump around. It will do you good,
or have sombody shake you if your legs don't work from sitting on the sofa
stuffing your face with chili-dogs, and beer, druewling , watching football
re-runs from the 60's in your underware.

I'm sure "squashing the capitalists" will "fix" the dogshit lame-ass
computer you should have thrown away ten years ago, probably a stupid
leftist liberal pussy TOSHIBA.
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
gmv
2005-02-14 14:43:44 UTC
You are obviously a CIA Special Agent trying to muck up anyonew who is not a Government Employee.
Post by gmv
Post by gmv
Post by Ron Wezekana
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Getting laptops apart and back together is not easy at all, you have
Post by gmv
Post by Ron Wezekana
know
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Ron Wezekana
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Ron Wezekana
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Ron Wezekana
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
TJ
2005-02-13 20:53:22 UTC
No, it is YOU who does not understand. These people are trying to help you
in the only way that makes sense, while you ramble about nonsense. You
don't want an internet based solution, but you post requests for help on the
internet. Pull yourself together, snap out of it.
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
MSG
2005-02-13 23:12:29 UTC
I have two laptops one Toshiba, and a Panasonic Tough Book CF-18, my Desktop
Computer and I also have three clocks in the house, one in each vehicle, one
on a pager, one on a cell phone and not a single one reads the same, WHO
GIVES A SHIT......... which one is the actual time. Life is too
short........
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
TJ
2005-02-14 01:56:07 UTC
Absolutely, clearly this person is retarded ...
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
gmv
2005-02-14 14:46:09 UTC
It Is obvious to me none of you are technicians
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
Steve Ridaker
2005-02-14 15:35:38 UTC
Post by gmv
It Is obvious to me none of you are technicians
The results you looking for are unobtainable with the tools you are
using. Even when calibrated your cheap pc clock will drift significantly.

If you cannot hook up to the internet (ANY internet, ANY isp) to sync
via NTP, then buy a gps receiver or radio clock and get some software
to set your clock from it or derive frequency from it (via a PPS
signal). This is a $50 solution and you simply cannot do better on your
own. You will destroy your laptop trying to trim an RTC chip that has
the crystal EMBEDDED IN PLASTIC.

stever
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
gmv
2005-02-14 23:55:26 UTC
You are so very ignorant.
My clock works just fine with the proper calibration.
I have watched it carefully for years now and the drift has always been
about 1 second slow every 4.5 hours.
That means the oscillator if it is supposed to run
at 32768Hz is only running at
32768 * 16199/16200 = 32766 Hz
I am quite confident with proper calibration I could walk away
from my machine and let it collect data for a whole week before
I would need to reset the RTC. At the moment I can barely let it run
for 48 hours before I need to reset the clock. This speaks very poorly
for Toshiba Quality Control or they are bowing to security
concerns of the US Security Forces and do this intentionally.
I used to work in Nuclear Weapons Security and I am keenly aware
of the nastiness of the National Security Peoples where
Technology is concerned. The whole reason they spread US technology
around the world is because they are scared to death that some
alien country will come up with an alien technology different and
superior to our own if they are allowed to freewheel.
They are scared silly of the possibility of terrorists getting
easy hold of accurate and precise things to do their dirty work with.
So people like you and me must suffer with inferior technology
to satisfy their security paranoia's.

I know I am beating my head against a brick wall here
because none of you are sincerely concerned with the
topic at hand. Which is simply calibrating my RTC inside
my Toshiba Satellite 205CDS Laptop. This laptop happens to be
Deck Gray in color just like US NAVY equipment of various kinds.
I can't help but wonder if our military ever has used these
devices before and if so I feel sorry for the Pentagon
being taken for a sucker with these uncalibrated Laptop machines.

This will be my last post because I am now
relatively certain I will have to dive into
the circuitry blind to know what I need to know
to get the job done.
You can be certain I will publish any success
to the whole world no matter who might be
listening.
--
Regards;
gmv
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
DougSlug
2005-02-15 12:02:41 UTC
I suggest replacing the 32.768 kHz crystal with a new one that has tighter
specs (that is, one with better accuracy, as expressed with a smaller error
in +/- ppm). Obviously it has drifted for some reason, and that's something
you can't adjust on the motherboard. A counter in the chipset simply counts
a preset number of clock periods coming from an oscillator based on that
crystal, and there is probably no way to change the preset count for
calibration purposes, since the accuracy of those crystals is generally
considered good enough for most purposes.
me qsbasher
2005-02-17 03:31:51 UTC
That wont work for him either, xals are speked in ppm drift,
there are three things, initial frequency, long term frequency drift,
temperature drift
(an xal is a ROCK people)
What he is quacking about is 1 sec in 4.5 hours which is 61 ppm drift (small
cut xal)
but he wants to go a week that is 0.99 ppm (xy cut xal) which takes a much
bigger xal
Rick Prather
2005-02-16 02:07:34 UTC
Thankfully that was your last post.

I have grown very weary of your paranoia and your attitude towards
people that have been trying to help you out with your rediculous request..
listening.
Russ Thompson
2005-02-19 21:03:06 UTC
. This speaks very poorly for Toshiba Quality Control
No, it doesn't. Where in your manual does it say that Toshiba is marketing
a clock? You want your laptop to do something it wasn't designed to do! If
you want to re-engineer the puter, go ahead. Most of the real world knows
that any crystal based product is inherantly unstable, unless kept in a
crystal oven, and then, they'll stil drift.

6 seconds per day is well within the specs for what the box was DESIGNED to
do

DE KX5G -- "Never send a hammer to do a scewdriver's job"

gmv
2005-02-14 14:45:38 UTC
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
gmv
2005-02-14 14:44:49 UTC
LOL It is obvious to me none of you are technicians.
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
KR
2005-02-14 15:09:54 UTC
Whats-his-name was right, you ARE retarded ...
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
to the internet.
<smile>
--Rick
gmv
tom
2005-02-14 16:01:46 UTC
Yes, all of of us at the shop here agree, this person is mentally challenged
and it is not worthwhile to continue wasting time on his bizarre, uninformed
requests for the impossible.
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv
Post by Rick Frazier
get a software solution...
Get NisTime and put it on the computer, then have it reset the clock
every few hours. It will track quite nicely then...
It is free and can be configured to poll one of the NIST servers on a
regular basis to set the time. I use it on servers and critical
machines at work to keep them all within a second of each other.
Of course, it only helps when the computer is turned on and has
access
Post by gmv
Post by Shortlyhire
Post by gmv