Johnson Matchbox on 30 Mtrs?
Carter Grabarczyk
2005-03-15 13:39:29 UTC
Not sure if this is the right forum/newsgroup or not, but let me try it...

I am using a Johnson KW Matchbox antenna tuner with a 130 foot long, 30
foot high dipole fed with about 40 feet of ladder (window) line. It
works well on all bands including the WARC bands *except* for 30 meters.

The question is, does anyone have any tips/suggestions/modifications to
make this operate on 30 meters?

73,
Carter
K8VT
Edward A. Feustel
2005-03-16 12:35:48 UTC
Alan Taylor
2006-01-31 13:54:55 UTC
Hi Carter,

I agree with Ed. I would simply add short lengths of feeder until you get to
a length that the matcher can cope with on all the bands you use.

I did that with a similar antenna that works very well on a number of bands.
I suspect in your case that on 30m the impedance at the end of the feeder is
too high.

73 Alan VK6BN
Post by Edward A. Feustel
Post by Carter Grabarczyk
Not sure if this is the right forum/newsgroup or not, but let me try it...
I am using a Johnson KW Matchbox antenna tuner with a 130 foot long, 30
foot high dipole fed with about 40 feet of ladder (window) line. It works
well on all bands including the WARC bands *except* for 30 meters.
The question is, does anyone have any tips/suggestions/modifications to
make this operate on 30 meters?
73,
Carter
K8VT
You do not say what positions you use on 30m. I have found that the 20 m
position works better on some antennas and the 40 m position works better
on others.
It is likely that the impedance is too high to be tuned successfully with
your antenna the way that it is now. Try adding to your feedline which
will transform the impedance to your antenna to a different value. One ham
whose call I cannot remember has developed a switching system enabling one
to select a different length of transmission line varying from 1 to quite
a few feet. Just a fraction of a wavelength can transform the impedance of
your antenna to something that can be matched.
If this does not work, try adding a parallel element to your dipole that
is 1/2 or 3/4 wavelength on
30.
You might search Google on the newsgroup rec.radio.amateur.antenna to see
if you can find more information
Regards,
Ed, N5EI
jimbo