Equipment
NetWeasel
2004-11-19 16:08:21 UTC
My Grandma has offered my Granddaddy's old radio gear to me.

I have no idea what he had. It's probably all antique by now. Any
suggestions on how to go about evaluating the equipment? I'm sure he kept
all the manuals (as they never got rid of anything).

For stuff that old, I probably need to have it checked out by someone to
make sure it's operating properly. Can I still get tubes (I'm almost sure
it all uses tubes)?

I'm new to the hobby, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks!
Matt
KD8ANP
Dee D. Flint
2004-11-19 23:27:57 UTC
Post by NetWeasel
My Grandma has offered my Granddaddy's old radio gear to me.
I have no idea what he had. It's probably all antique by now. Any
suggestions on how to go about evaluating the equipment? I'm sure he kept
all the manuals (as they never got rid of anything).
For stuff that old, I probably need to have it checked out by someone to
make sure it's operating properly. Can I still get tubes (I'm almost sure
it all uses tubes)?
I'm new to the hobby, so I'm not sure where to begin.
Thanks!
Matt
KD8ANP
First put together a list of the equipment by name and model number. Get
help from a more experienced ham to do this.
Then look at the list of closed auctions on eBay to see what they have sold
for (open auctions don't tell you much because they haven't finished bidding
yet).
Also talk to long term hams in your local radio club. If you are not a
member, join!

Tubes are available on the internet and at most hamfests.

Don't assume the equipment is antique until you get a list of it and get
advice on it. Some of the older hams actually have some of the newest
equipment as sometimes retirees can afford it better than people with kids
still at home. Even at that many of the older radios still function well
and sell well.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
J.Hoekstra
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
Topaz305RK
2004-11-20 00:34:05 UTC
Old equipment does not mean "used up" equipment. I have one "new" Kenwood
and a couple of "older" units. All three work great. The new one is fine for
digital stuff, easier to set up and work with, but, the "older" stuff has
way better audio and "hears" CW a lot better than the "new" rig.

Find out what is really there. Good advice from Dee D. Flint and then go
from there.
--
K7SAM
Transmitting from Navajo, MT
Center of the known Universe
NetWeasel
2004-11-20 01:10:53 UTC
Hi guys, thanks for the input!
Once I arrange a time to pick up the equipment, I'll have a better idea of
what I'm getting into. Good idea about eBay. I wasn't sure if much radio
gear sold on there since a license is required to use it.

Thanks again!
Matt
KD8ANP