Research project
Gerry
2006-04-30 07:57:01 UTC
Can anyone help me with research for my degree.

I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I have a theory about rf fields
and their effect on electrical activity in the brain. I believe this
particular
form of mental illness could be specifically at risk.

Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?

Thanks

Gerry G.
Carter-K8VT
2006-04-30 13:34:37 UTC
Post by Gerry
Can anyone help me with research for my degree.
I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I have a theory about rf fields
and their effect on electrical activity in the brain. I believe this
particular
form of mental illness could be specifically at risk.
Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?
Thanks
Gerry G.
Gerry,

Just a suggestion...

Ham radio is:

1) Mostly intermittent; i.e., many hams are only on for a couple of
hours per day or a few hours per week.

2) Hams are limited to 1000 watts of power (roughly speaking-please no
sniping on PEP and such), and many hams, for various reasons, do not run
that much power, but typically use about 100 watts output.

Therefore, you are putting several constraints on your study. Let me
offer the following suggestion:

Try studying the population near some high power commercial AM or FM
broadcast stations. The frequencies they use are a bit different than
the ham frequencies but they are using high power and are on around the
clock.

For example, the AM outlet of the TV station I worked for, was running
50,000 watts to a directional antenna system. (The TV and AM stations
were in two different suburbs, by the way). In the main lobe of this AM
antenna array, the power was closer to 500,000 watts ERP (effective
radiated power). The signal was so strong, people living in the main
lobe of the antenna pattern were getting sparks off the aluminum siding
of their houses and shocks off the rabbit ear antennas on their TV sets
(BTW, this was 30 years ago, so if you are younger, you may not even
know what 'rabbit ear antennas' are).

On the rare occasions that I visited the AM site, I remember wondering
what effect (if any) all that RF was having on the people that lived in
that neighborhood.

Good luck with your study!

Regards,
Carter K8VT
Brian
2006-05-01 07:25:04 UTC
Post by Gerry
Can anyone help me with research for my degree.
I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I have a theory about rf fields
and their effect on electrical activity in the brain. I believe this
particular
form of mental illness could be specifically at risk.
Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?
Only one I know is a guy in the Orkneys. Clive Penna, GM3POI.
I've heard he has a manic episode every nine days regular as
clockwork.

Doubt if he would help you with info though. Not the type.

Brian F.

Brian
2006-05-02 13:43:21 UTC
Post by Gerry
Can anyone help me with research for my degree.
I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I have a theory about rf fields
and their effect on electrical activity in the brain. I believe this
particular form of mental illness could be specifically at risk.
Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?
The only one I know is a guy in the Orkneys. GM3POI - his name
is Clive Penna. Apparently he has a manic episode every nine
days regular as clockwork - and that's pretty severe from what
Ive been told.

I can't see him helping you with info though. He's not the type.

Brian.
Rick
2006-05-05 07:52:43 UTC
Post by Brian
The only one I know is a guy in the Orkneys. GM3POI - his name
is Clive Penna. Apparently he has a manic episode every nine
days regular as clockwork - and that's pretty severe from what
Ive been told.
I can't see him helping you with info though. He's not the type.
You got that right. POI's a well-known arrogant a**hole. It doesn't surprise
me that
he's got a mental problem. In fact it answers a lot of questions - for me
and a good
few others.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Rick, K4**